Why do I need a blog editorial calendar?
If you answered “yes” to either of those questions then you need a blog editorial calendar.
I do the bulk of the blogging on this website and I fall into the ‘never know what to blog about’ categorically. I know I need to blog regularly. Sometimes, however, it’s easy to get too carried away doing client work and put off the blog. Most often because I just don’t know what to blog about.
This week I decided to practice what I preach and wrote a blog editorial calendar for Straight Marketing.
What is a blog editorial calendar?
- A blog editorial calendar is simply a list of blog topics, diarised.
How do I put together a blog editorial calendar?
If you’re not sure what to blog about read “Business blogging – what to blog“.
- Write a detailed list of all the services/products that you provide.
- Look at each individual entry. Think about what you could write on each of these topics. Try to answer questions, share experience, demonstrate knowledge and expertise.
- Write a list of the keywords and questions that people searching for your products/services may use. Can you add anymore blog topics relevant to this list?
- Think about seasonal trends, annual statistical/research announcements. Can you add any blog topics relevant to these?
- Look at what your competitors are blogging about.
- Scan industry and trade press and see what they’re writing about.
- Aim to have 2-3 blogs per month. This allows room to insert a blog which is more newsy and time critical.
What are the advantages of a blog editorial calendar?
- You won’t waste time every week trying to decide what to blog about.
- You can write several blogs in one go and schedule them. This works really well if you have busy periods and limited time to blog during those times. Also sometimes it can take a while to get into the flow of writing so it makes sense to just keep going!
- Your blogs will be more relevant, strategic and cohesive.
So hopefully this blog will have convinced you of the value in writing a blog editorial calendar. If you’d like some help putting one together and/or writing blogs please get in touch.