Customer testimonials are a powerful way to help convert potential customers and encourage them to try your product or service for the first time.
Why are customer testimonials so powerful?
- Potential customers can identify with your offering and see how it may benefit them.
- Endorsement from others adds credibility and engenders trust.
- Your benefits are highlighted in black and white.
- Your product/service is brought to life with a human element.
Customer testimonials can be short quotes, video clips or product reviews.
How to get customer testimonials
Ask for feedback
It sounds obvious but many businesses are too afraid to ask! If your customers are happy with the service they’ve received they’ll generally be pleased to give a positive comment.
Rather than ask directly for a testimonial ask for feedback instead. A series of short structured questions will give you the soundbites you need to compile a powerful testimonial. Questions you might ask:
- Why did you choose this product?
- What specific feature did you like most about this product?
- What have been the results of buying this product?
- Would you recommend this product? If so, why?
- Is there anything you’d like to add?
Make it easy to leave feedback
Provide ample opportunities for people to comment on your service – have feedback cards at reception or links on email footers for example.
Ask at the right time
You want to ask customers for feedback at the time they’re most satisfied with your product/service. If you run a restaurant this is probably directly after they’ve enjoyed their meal. If the full benefits of your product/service take a few months to be realised then delay asking for feedback until your customer has had chance to fully experience the benefits.
Monitor what is already been said
Create a Google Alert for your brand name and keep an eye on social media sites like Twitter to find out when people are publishing reviews online. Follow up and ask for their permission to use their feedback or expand on it.
Always check with the customer that they are happy for you to publish their testimonial.
When you come to publish your customer testimonials validate them by adding their full name, job title and company (if relevant). Testimonials that include photos or videos give additional credibility.