A tale of woe re email subject headers
Most of us find insurance a pretty dull subject. It’s a necessary evil that we all reluctantly pay for just in case we end up one day being very glad we did.
So, marketing insurance is always going to be a tough call albeit not an impossible one. We do, after all, welcome the security and peace of mind that insurance brings.
Yesterday I opened my email inbox to see this email subject header:
“[Name of Insurance Company] Commercial Newsletter | October 2016”
Insurance marketing just got a whole lot duller. I yawned and immediately deleted the email.
35% of email recipients decide whether or not to open an email based on subject line alone.
An office worker receives an average of 120 emails a day.
6 tips to improve your email subject headers
- Keep it short and punchy
- Personalise it with the recipient’s name or location
- Start with action-oriented verbs e.g. “protect your business..”
- Ask a question to catch attention and pique curiosity
- Avoid anything that looks spammy or too salesy
- Add a sense of urgency with a deadline
Have you got any great email subject examples that you would like to share? Here’s one of our favourites “Not called Kate? This email is for you.”