Are you wondering if you should include radio advertising in your marketing mix? Take a look at the most recent stats from RAJAR, the official body in charge of measuring radio audiences in the UK:
Radio listening statistics – first quarter of 2018:
- 90% of the adult (15+) UK population tuned in to their selected radio stations each week
- The total average number of weekly hours listened to was 1.026 Billion – an increase of 4.2% from the previous quarter
- On average a listener tunes into 20.8 hours of live radio per week
- More than 3 in 5 adults aged 15+ are listening to radio via a digital platform in terms of weekly reach
- 34 million people now tune into radio via a digitally enabled receiver (DAB, DTV, Online or App) each week
- 60% listen at home, 24% in the car and 16% at their desk
Radio listening is on the increase so could provide an ideal opportunity for you to raise your brand awareness among your target audience.
7 benefits of radio advertising:
- Research shows that radio, together with cinema, has the lowest level of advertising avoidance. People listen to radio ads and are less likely to switch channels when the adverts come on than they do with TV (my husband excepted!)
- In choosing the right radio station you can communicate your message directly to your target demographic.
- Radio directs online traffic. The RAB’s Radio: The Online Multiplier study found that radio can drive brand browsing (direct to a brand’s website or searching for a specific brand in a search engine) by over 52%.
- Radio is personal and listeners often view their favourite radio station as a loyal companion or friend. Brands can benefit from this connection by advertising on the station.
- Frequent airing of your radio advert will build a strong brand awareness.
- Radio advertising can be relatively low cost.
- Your chosen radio station will help with script writing and production to ensure maximum effectiveness of your advert.
So, if you’re now persuaded that investing in radio advertising could be an effective use of your marketing budget, the next step is to identify the most appropriate radio station. If you’d like any assistance with selecting and managing your radio advertising, please get in touch.