I listened to an excellent webinar recently on, “How to get press coverage and build links” by the very talented PR Carrie Rose. It was packed full of useful tips, engaging insight and fascinating case studies. I highly recommend you watch it!
Carrie demonstrated that to succeed at PR, you need to know what’s trending and hook your PR into that.
This “on-trend” message is relevant to all aspects of marketing.
I’m not suggesting that your brand needs to be hip and cool (showing my age here!) to succeed but that your offering needs to be relevant to your customers. It must satisfy their current needs. Never has this been more important than during the coronavirus pandemic, which continually shifts what we want and how we access it.
- What do my customers want and need right now?
- How do my marketing messages address the issues my customers are facing?
- How can/should I adapt to satisfy my current customers or reach new markets?
How do you know what’s trending?
- Do your research – read the news, monitor social media, and use online trending tools such as BuzzSumo.
- Ask your customers – get it straight from the horse’s mouth.
It’s not about being trendy; it’s about being relevant.